Super Nikka Whisky




Review by Serge Valentin

Visit Serge`s website, the definitive Whiskyfun.com.
"Nikka 'Super' (43%, OB, +/-2008)
These bottles with very long necks are very clever. Even when the level goes down a bit because of evaporation, the contact surface with air remains very small.
Colour: Gold.
Nose: Ah, this is much more expressive than the ‘Blend’, ‘Gold & Gold’ and ‘Kingsland’. Much more honeyed and fruity (dried figs), with the same kind of waxiness. Also a little cardboard but the overall profile is very enjoyable. Gets smoky. Quality blended whisky.
Mouth: Pretty much the same as the Kingsland’s, only a little smoother at the attack, and a little grassier after that.
Finish: Maybe a little shortish but clean. Spicy baklavas.
Comments: A good blend. SGP:341 – 75 points."(Serge`s scoring system is explained on this page.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
question - I have a Gold & Gold Commemoration bottle of the 1972 Sapporo Winter Olympics Games. My uncle bought it when he was stationed in Japan while in the USCG. I acquired it when he gave me his entire collection of mini and full size bottles.

What do you know about this bottle, and should I keep it unopened or give it a try?

Thanks,

Ron
Anonymous said…
It depends whether you want to enjoy the whisky or perhaps try to make some money out of this bottle. I am not a whisky collector but my understanding is that opening a bottle removes a large part of the value. This is a very normal blended whisky, so the taste is probably not going to blow your mind. As for the value, I have no idea. I suppose it would be a case of putting it up for auction and seeing what you could get. It seems quite an interesting period piece.
Anonymous said…
It depends whether you want to enjoy the whisky or perhaps try to make some money out of this bottle. I am not a whisky collector but my understanding is that opening a bottle removes a large part of the value. This is a very normal blended whisky, so the taste is probably not going to blow your mind. As for the value, I have no idea. I suppose it would be a case of putting it up for auction and seeing what you could get. It seems quite an interesting period piece.
Anonymous said…
how much would an unopened bottle of Super Nikka be worth? the age is unknown but it is 86 proof and Super is written in gold. hope this helps
Nonjatta said…
In Japan, if it looks anything like the bottle in the post, about 1,850 yen, just under 20 dollars, for 700 ml.

Popular Posts