Suntory Single Malt Whisky Hakushu Aged 15 Years



Review by Nonjatta contributor - Dramtastic
Suntory Single Malt Whisky Hakushu Aged 15 Years. 56 per cent alcohol.
Nose: Sweet oak (reminds me of a number Hanyu's I have tasted in this respect), which is beautifully intergrated into the malt. Varnish, roasted chesnuts, fresh baked scones with butter and a slightly burnt apple crumble.
Palate:Hot, Hot, Hot! Not a burning alcoholic heat, more like chillis. Probably the hottest whisky I have tried and I love it. Huge spice: pepper, salt, chilli, nutmeg and cinnamon. Lots of sweet oak, peanuts and marshmellows.
Finish: Long, hot, spicy and oaky, but with a certain candied sweetness. This was not a whisky I would choose to add water to because I enjoy the rush of it at cask strength.
General comment: I'll make no bones about it, I love this whisky. Probably one of my top 5 Japanese malts and I've tasted more than a few.

Comments

David Raffauf said…
I received this as a gift in Japan. This is the only place I've found the exact same bottle. It is hot and as a bourbon man a little water helped me discern the flavors. Great review. I fear the quality of this scotch may have been underappreciated to a new scotch drinker.

Popular Posts